Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Halloween; Air Guitar; Bird Rescue; Kiss

1/19/10

A Halloween party at Ben S's suburban home. I dress as a mouse with large red plastic buck teeth. At a table we gossip about a friend who is pregnant and planning to marry her long time loutish boyfriend. She goes around hanging wedding invitations like hotel Please do not Disturb signs on the doorknobs.

I'm at SLC to do a college interview. I look at the paper I received and see that I'm supposed to go see my cousin J who is a professor here. I go to the science building and there's a small crowd to get on the escalator. Some young boys are singing oldies and I ask them if they were listening to the radio. We talk about how we like CCR and play air guitar on the escalator. I get off at the third floor when i see my cousin's name on the sign.
He's not expecting me. He's speaking to his girlfriend on the stairs and complaining about being hungover. I call down and tell him he's lucky his first interview of the day is me. He comes up cheerfully. His office is also his bedroom. I'm there with his girlfriend and some guy, all talking about the school. I say I should have gone for on campus housing but I love my apartment too much. I talk about a beloved dorm room, that was so tiny I had to fold up my futon to get my desk chair out, but had french windows and a balcony.

I live in a big gothic suburban house with Ben S and my cousin. We order pizza. Ben and I rescue a bird made of twigs. Its disguise shifts and we see a tiny white bird like a parakeet. I catch it deftly in my hands and it squirms feebly. I'm sadly reminded of my bird, Wesley. I hold it carefully but it looks like the feathers are coming off its head. We put it down in a pachysandra and immediately think it's a mistake. There are dangerous animals all around. The vegetation retreats or whithers and it's just a patch of dirt where the bird should show up. We can't see it. We've lost our chance to save it.

Walking back to the house, I run into O and he asks for a kiss. We have a sad, sweet kiss and go inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment