Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dinner Party One Up Manship; Snowy Park

1/24/10

I'm around a big table with a bunch of over-dressed Jersey girl types. We're eating a fancy dinner. I'm carefully flaking some fish in a rich salty sauce. There's some sort of one-up-manship going on. I pull out my trump card, which is speaking Chinese. I speak some pretty clumsy Chinese and look up and realize all the Jersey girls are all Chinese girls. I'm busted. I finish the meal and excuse myself.

I walk out into Central Park with two older guys. I think they're academics, or experts, or comic book guys or something. They're delighted with my company and we walk through the park. It's very beautiful. Enormous, slow snowflakes are coming down and our foot prints cut a black track up and down the steep hills.

Well I did the thing where I woke up and thought for sure I'd remember everything and didn't need to write it down, so of course I forgot a bunch of details. I'm pretty sure the dinner party started out with Jersey Girls and they didn't change until after I'd been speaking Chinese for a while.

The park part was very lovely. The light was strange. I couldn't tell if it was night, or a gray day, or what. But the shades of gray and black were very rich and there was a sort of snowy day muffled quality to everything. Maybe no sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment