Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ice Cream Parlor; Trees; Mezzanine

I was visiting a fancy ice cream parlor. Or at least it had once been fancy. There were pretty girls working there wearing uniforms but they were bored and a little snarky. But they got excited when I explained how much I like ice cream and they served me something called "The Maggie" with brownies, balls of ice cream and crepes to wrap it all in. It was bedecked with flags.

There was an old man who felt selfish for having too many trees. He had eighteen saplings. I laughed and told him that it's not too many trees.
Connected to a dream about my mother in an arboretum? In the summer we often visit the Flagstaff Arboretum.

A running contest was staged around the mezzanine of an old hotel. There's a big crowd of people but I'm doing pretty well. I stop to help a young Asian woman who is lost. She resembles a high school friend of mine, Keimei. We lost touch when we graduated. I think she went to Smith and went into an arranged Unificationist marriage.

Dinner party with my college friend Jen, Stephanie and Rachel. We talk about children.

Helping a thuggish young woman move.

The marching band takes the field!

Looking back on this dream, I see a lot of images of things falling apart and doing badly, and helping. Mostly in the dream I help young women. Lots of lavish detail about places and buildings. The old hotel was lovely. Dark wood and sumptuous rugs on the stairs.

I wrote down the dream as soon as I woke up, but now, almost a week later, I can't actually remember the last few episodes, the dinner party, the move and the band. The rest are still vivid, especially the hotel race.

No comments:

Post a Comment