Monday, December 21, 2009

Reluctant Students; Stacking Saints; Book Show

12/18/09
Troubled by a possible problem at work, I had a lousy night's sleep.

I was trying to teach writing to some indifferent teenagers. I got a very nice edition of a book and gave it to an especially recalcitrant student. It had a beautiful photograph on the cover and gilt edges. She was skeptical and I later found she and another student were planning to sell their books.

I was in a church-like space, and there was a building block type puzzle made of little figurines of a Saint. They stacked like Legos or Linkin Logs, with fitting parts. They were made of dark wood and were very beautiful. They could be built into a tiny cathedral. One monk was sick or possessed and he broke the glass in a dusty diorama of saints eating. He flailed, breaking a fragile wooden bench, and I threw a blanket over him to subdue him.

I was having a book talk on television with M about a YA novel I'm working on at work. The show's house band is a bunch of surly women with lots of heavy make-up. I recognize 3's old band.

I'm beginning to notice that I dream a lot about spaces with dark wood, and especially pieces of fragile furniture made of dark wood. My own room is furnished with light wood and while the pieces are small they're pretty solid. The theme of books is also strong. Especially when I dream of M, who is a woman I would like to befriend.

This was a very visually beautiful dream but I spent most of it quite anxious, maybe reflecting my actual mood. The snafu at work was actually worked out without a wrinkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment