Thursday, May 13, 2010

Prison Truffles; Comics Reading Awkwardness; Clinic Intercom Sucks

I'm in a prison cell. I don't know why I'm in prison but it doesn't really bother me. It's kind of jumbled and messy. There's a shelf on the back wall where we all keep our goodies. Another prisoner with more status than I have has brought me two bottles of safflower oil and is charging me $90. I'm indignant. The price is ridiculous and I had asked for peanut butter anyway. The othr prisoner backs down. I remember that I have some homemade peanut butter and chocolate truffles anyway and excitedly take them down to share. They're a little mushed but wrapped in pretty blue paper.

The cell expands and looks different but in the dream I don't notice. I'll have five cell mates. I make friends with them all. One is Pirate Dan, one is a middle aged guy who's intimidating at first but then I realize he's just shy. We share a truffle. The brittle chocolate shell breaks in my hand. I can taste the chocolate.

I'm going to a comics reading. It's by a girl named Candy Cardaiouplas or some crazy name like that. I read the program and marvel at the number of vowels in a row in her last name. She's very pretty with red cheeks and the image flickers between her face and a self-portrait she's drawn, in water color with the red cheeks and pink pattern of her skirt and tights highlighted. After, I stand around with her and a coterie of her lady artist friends. I feel awkward and not very feminine. They talk about an artist they used to work with who went crazy and saw savage animals on the lawn. I think of Al and am sad, but I don't offer him up to the conversation.

I become friends with one of the other girls named Ruby. We exchange emails and tell life stories. Mine is a big lie to include people with exotic names like Aunt Jnita and my boyfriend Giovanni who's really Will. I see the text of the email and wonder what possessed me to write such whoppers. I also see flashes of Ruby's art, more very colorful self-portraits.

I'm roller skating in town in Virginia. A woman with a big unruly dog comes near and the dog comes to attack my skates. I'm intimidated at first but then I start barking and growling at the dog and it backs off. I skate up a ramp to a posh immediate care clinic. I go in and out of the little door. I run into Alice and Joanna and then K and TL. They're all having trouble opening the door. I realize there's an intercom but the instructions to ring it are way high up and incoherent. I make a list of complaints about the instructions. The lines of text become the shelves of a bookcase and the words are covered with leafy plants in some places.

No comments:

Post a Comment