Sunday, February 26, 2012

Writing for friend; Stage story for June; Wood music

An old friend kisses me. I go for it We spend a hectic time running up and down the streets of his sketchy neighborhood going into bodegas looking for condoms. All the packets are like Chinese takeout packages of duck sauce or something--a viscous fluid in with the condoms. He also asks me to write a story for him. He'll give me the details and I'll do the prose. We're in my kitchen in Virginia. I agree to do the story, and one of his old friends is making pie. He keeps burning the crust and then saying he's going to make a "waffle crust". There are clusters of cockroaches and ants in places around the kitchen. I ask my friend to line the trashcan with a new bag, then I use big sheets of newsprint to wrap up the fighting insects and dump them into the trash. There's also a whole raw chicken in the trash. We make out in the recycling bin.

I'm asked to tell a story. I change my voice into an old timey Southern voice and tell the story of a girl named June and her community was giving her presents for an important birthday. I'm telling the story and watching it. Everyone's in a river. The people look like real people, but they act out their lines in a stagey way. June asks a carpenter to make a puppet after her future husband. She asks someone else to write her a song. I'm not sure where I'm going with this story. Maybe I'll punish June for her greed? But then a priest appears at the local church and tells the female priest they're going back to early Catholic teachings. Suddenly no one can give June their presents because they all go against the church. They sort of rebel. June goes onto the sidewalk and some of her friends join her. They go to to a drugstore because they can pick up some cheap birthday presents there. We find ourselves in little study cubicles in the back. we can see red-leaved trees.

In the woods, hearing an eerie song. It' like the soundtrack to a horror movie but a folksong. I stumble down a very steep hill in the woods, hearing the song. It's got mirimba and a man's sad voice singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment